Our 200 hour yoga teacher training full time (immersion) program is designed for students to complete an in-depth program in the shortest period possible. If you wish to deepen their practice, the one month immersion provides an excellent “urban retreat” experience in the heart of San Francisco.
This program is designed to transform your life and support your personal growth. Physical practice, yogic philosophy, meditation and pranayama exercises, embodied anatomy, as well as the cultivation of leadership and teaching skills give you a strong foundation in yoga and create a pathway for a more mature yoga practice.
JANUARY 30 – FEBRUARY 25, 2018
- Guided Asana Practice 9:00 – 11:00 am
- Lectures, Clinics 11:00 – 1:00 pm
- Lunch 1:00 – 2:00 pm
- Anatomy, Asana Clinics, Analysis, Teaching 2:00 – 6:00 pm
Saturday and Sunday:
- Optional Personal Practice or Public Class Before 12:30 or after 5:30 pm
- Philosophy, History, Teaching Skills. 12:30 – 5:30 pm
To prepare you for this journey, here is your reading list. In addition to the books, you will need to have a computer or iPad with internet in order to access our brand new online videos and resources! If you don’t own a device, you can rent one at YGSF. Please contact us for information about our rental contracts.
- The Path of Yoga: An Essential Guide to Its Principles and Practices * Read before program
- Author George Feuerstein, published by Shambala
- The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice,*Read before program
- Author TKV Desikachar
- Yoga Anatomy-2nd Edition, Second Edition, *Read chapters 1-5 before program
- Author Leslie Kaminoff and Amy Mathews
- The Yoga-Sutra of Patanjali: A New Translation with Commentary (Shambhala Classics)
- Translated by Chip Hartranft
WHY YOGA GARDEN IS SAN FRANCISCO’S PREMIER YOGA SCHOOL
Yoga Garden empowers you to teach your style of yoga. Our alignment-based hatha yoga teacher training originates from the teachings of Krishnamacharya, the teacher of B.K.S. Iyengar (Iyengar yoga), Pattabhi Jois (Ashtanga yoga) and T.V.K. Desikachar (viniyoga). This gives you a solid foundation of technical excellence combined with philosophical depth, enabling you to teach your practice.
Yoga Garden offers smaller, intimately-sized teacher training programs, which provide you with unparalleled access to lead teachers during the program and ongoing mentorship and career advice well beyond program completion. You will begin practice teaching your peers early in the training. Through real classroom experience, teaching groups, and hands-on adjustments, you will gain the confidence and ability to begin teaching yoga immediately upon graduation.
- Free access to all YGSF yoga classes during the duration of your program
- Guided practice includes alignment-based vinyasa yoga classes, pranayama, and chanting.
- Understand how yoga creates well-being, health and higher consciousness.
- Experience how asana (poses), pranayama (breath control), and meditation deliver these benefits.
- Learn human anatomy, bio-mechanics, and optimal alignment for yoga asana.
PHILOSOPHY & HISTORY
- Explore the historical context in which yoga has evolved from an ancient past through modern times.
- As a carrier of the lineage, you are part of the evolution of yoga!
- Explore yoga’s philosophical foundations to understand the reasons behind the actions.
- Discuss the Yoga Sutras.
- Experience and discuss basic chanting and meditation.
- Receive the technical acumen to lead successful, intelligent, all-levels yoga classes. Graduate with the ability to teach your style of yoga.
- Learn teaching skills which include sequencing, creating relevant themes and intentions, hands-on and verbal adjustments, conscious use of language, voice projection, time management, prenatal modifications, and teaching beginners.
- Gain confidence and effectiveness as a teacher and student of yoga.
- Yoga teacher training graduates are qualified to register their yoga teacher certification with Yoga Alliance® at the RYT200 level. (Your certification is internationally recognized!)
BUSINESS OF YOGA
- Learn how and why business and yoga are related, and how to cultivate a livelihood that is meaningful and ethical.
- Gain insights on creating a successful yoga career and starting your own teaching practice from studio owners and established teachers.
THE YGSF DIFFERENCE / OUR COMMUNITY
- Yoga Garden teachers bring decades of experience teaching, practicing, studying, living and breathing yoga to guide and mentor you.
- Receive mentorship and individualized support through our Peer Teaching collective. A teaching clinic facilitated and mentored by senior YGSF instructors allowing you to grow as a student and evolve as a teacher.
- Be part of a life-long community of alumni and professionals who support your growth. Stay in touch on our Alumni Facebook page after graduation. Alumni attend free Master Classes and get substantial discounts on yoga and future trainings.
- Our Graduates Teach! We are so proud of our graduates and love to keep in touch. See what they are doing on our Graduates page.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT ARE THE PREREQUISITES FOR PARTICIPATING IN TEACHER TRAINING?
There are no educational requirements; however, prospective students should have a regular yoga practice (2-3 times per week) of at least six months. The 200-hour training will cover fundamental asana (poses), vinyasa (flowing sequence), pranayama (breathing), philosophy, meditation, and teaching techniques from the beginning.
WHAT STYLES OF YOGA ARE TAUGHT IN THIS TRAINING?
You will learn to teach your practice in Yoga Garden’s yoga teacher training. As a way of learning how yoga works and how to share your personal understanding of yoga with others, we teach the physical practice using vinyasa (flow) and breath-based movement from the Ashtanga method combined with an anatomical understanding from the Iyengar method to deliver a safe and strong yoga practice. This training is designed to give you the tools to understand how to teach the poses effectively and how to sequence the practice for a desired result. The style you adopt will naturally come from your own practice as an evolving form.
WILL I BE READY TO TEACH AFTER COMPLETING THE BASIC 200-HOUR YOGA TEACHER TRAINING?
You will begin teaching early in the training, to give you the experience of growing your teaching from a place of practice, with curiosity and confidence. You will learn methods for teaching asana and pranayama. In practice teaching sessions will learn how to effectively communicate the information to others, find your voice, and develop language that is authentic and unscripted.
WHAT IF I DON’T WANT TO TEACH YOGA? I JUST WANT TO DEEPEN MY PRACTICE. DO I HAVE TO PRACTICE TEACH?
Yes!! Many of our trainees chose to join the teacher training program in order to deepen their practice, learn more about yoga, and find a community of like-minded yoga practitioners. Whether or not you choose to move forward as a yoga teacher, the teacher training will revolutionize your perspective on what yoga really is and help you integrate the practice into your life in a deeper, more meaningful way. Check out our testimonials page to hear more from our graduates!
DO I NEED TO BE CERTIFIED TO TEACH YOGA?
Most yoga studios, health clubs, fitness centers and holistic centers require a minimum certification of RYT200. Yoga Garden’s 200-hour certification enables you to register through Yoga Alliance® as an RYT200.
Yoga Alliance® is the largest nationally-recognized professional association for yoga teachers and schools. Yoga Alliance® maintains standards for both 200-hour and 500-hour level certification programs. Once you have completed your 200-hour level training, you can apply for registration through Yoga Alliance®, upon which you can use the title RYT® (Registered Yoga Teacher).
I ALREADY KNOW THAT I WANT MORE THAN 200 HOURS OF TEACHER TRAINING. WHAT IS THE NEXT STEP?
Once you have completed Yoga Garden’s 200-hour Basic Yoga teacher training, you can further your education through continuing education programs in your chosen area of interest: Ashtanga Vinyasa, Therapeutic Yoga, Prenatal, Children and Teens, Ageless, and Restorative, for example. Yoga Garden offers a 300-hour Advanced Yoga teacher training, which qualifies you for Yoga Alliance® RYT500 certification. Our Pro-Elite membership enables you to take all 500 hours of training plus an annual membership and unlimited workshops for one low monthly payment.
HOW MANY STUDENTS ARE ENROLLED IN THE TRAINING?
Our yoga teacher trainings typically have between 10-20 students. This capacity allows us to work closely with each student, insuring quality interaction, individualized attention, and effective group dynamics.
HOW MUCH TIME WILL I BE EXPECTED TO SPEND ON HOMEWORK?
Reading and writing assignments will be made in each class, which may take up to one hour per day to complete. Immersions are very intense work periods, and participants should not plan other significant activities for their duration. Lunch breaks are scheduled, but that schedule may change, based on the instructors’ discretion, and work may be assigned during that time, so do not schedule other activities during planned lunch breaks. Plan on spending 1-2 hours of homework for every 6 hours of scheduled class time.
ARE BOOKS INCLUDED IN THE TUITION?
Most of your learning resources will be provided through an on-line lesson management system (LMS). Additional books required for the training are available at a discounted price of 10% when you purchase them from Yoga Garden’s bookstore or you may order these books from Amazon. Many students purchase digital versions of the texts. The book list appears in the accordion below.
WHAT IF I MISS A CLASS OR A WEEKEND?
To get the most out of your yoga teacher training, it is important that you attend the first week of the 28-day program or the first three weeks of the 12-week program. Introductory concepts and course pedagogy are established and are necessary for the remainder of the program.
If you miss class sessions (up to 20 hours) you may still complete the program with your class provided that you schedule a private session (or group session) with program faculty or their designated assistant within 2 weeks of the missed session. Private make-ups are charged at the private instruction rate.
You may make up missed sessions in another training, as space allows. These are scheduled through your on-line training resources, subject to a $50 fee per instance, which must be completed within one year of your training.
Any minutes lost due to tardiness are recorded and must be made up. Classes start and end on time and you are responsible for the material and minutes missed at the beginning of class.
Certificates of Completion are not awarded until all attendance requirements are met.
These additional fees may apply to this program:
- One-hour private make-up session $125
- Each substitution/make-up in another program $50
- Copies of additional Certificates of Completion $35, (pdf downloads are free).
I AM PREGNANT. CAN I STILL PARTICIPATE IN THE TRAINING?
Each pregnancy is unique and affects the mother differently. Based on our experience, we do not recommend participating in YGSF200 during pregnancy.
YGSF200 emphasizes teaching and practice, making it a rigorous activity requiring your full capacities. We recommend that you wait until after your pregnancy to attend this program. If you are intent on attending the program while pregnant, you must participate in a telephone conference with our Admissions Manager or Advanced Studies Director, where you will review the risks and responsibilities of attending the program while pregnant. If you become pregnant while in the program or feel your participation is compromised by your pregnancy, you may continue the program at a discounted rate at a future date.
I HAVE AN INJURY. CAN I STILL PARTICIPATE IN THE TRAINING?
Each student’s situation will be considered individually, and evaluated based on your yoga experience and your general health.
I AM COMING FROM OUT-OF-TOWN, OR OUT-OF THE COUNTRY. CAN YOU SUGGEST ACCOMMODATIONS IN THE AREA?
San Francisco is a tourist destination that welcomes long and short-term visitors. Please visit the accommodations accordion for more information.
DO YOU OFFER SCHOLARSHIPS OR WORK-EXCHANGE PROGRAMS?
Yoga Garden SF offers one 200-Hour Teacher Training Apprentice position per session. Apprentices receive $600 off tuition in exchange for supporting lead teachers and fulfilling various duties. Apply Here.
CAN I ATTEND CLASSES FOR FREE AT YOGA GARDEN DURING THE TRAINING?
Yes! During the training, you can attend one class per day of regularly scheduled weekly classes at Yoga Garden.
IS THE DEPOSIT REFUNDABLE?
Yes, the deposit is refundable for up to 14 days prior to the start of the program, full payment of the program due at that time and is non-refundable.